Table of Contents
Notification customization for resellers
Following changes to ICANN's rules, registrars are now required to send a number of messages directly to the contact email addresses of your customers.
The following form allows you to see the default content and customize it, as well as the sender's name.
Once you are logged into your reseller account, click on “Messages” in the navigation menu on top of the page, and then on “Notification customization”:
1. Chose the email that you want to customize:
There are currently four emails that you can customize:
- Email sent to the owner 30 days, and 7 days before the domain's expiration
- Email sent to the owner 1 day after the domain's expiration
- Email sent to the owner following the creation of their first domain
- Email sent to the owner during an incoming domain transfer request confirmation
2. Use the form on the page to make the customizations:
Once selected, the corresponding mail template will appear, with fields that you can modify:
- Language of the email: This will let you send the mail contents in English, French, or Spanish
- Sender's name: You can have your name appear as the email's sender rather than Gandi. The address behind it is firstname.lastname@example.org (and will not receive emails). It may be be reassuring to your customers to see the name of your company there, however, and so we recommend customizing this.
- Sender email address: You can personalize the “from” email address for the domain transfer confirmation email. Note that before you can do this, however, you must add an SPF record in your domain's zonefile that includes our mail server (for example: @ 10800 IN SPF “v=spf1 include:_mailcust.gandi.net ~all”), as well as well as an MX record in the sender domain's zone file.
- Subject and message: the contents of these fields are obligatory and can not be modified.
- The rest of the message: you can add more to the email's conclusion to further personalize it. For example by adding links to your support, your website, a word to your customers etc.
- Personalized link : This field is only visible with the 3rd type of message (Email sent to the owner following the creation of their first domain). Enter a subdomain that you want to use to replace domainnameverification.net in the validation link that appears in the email, in order to make your mail more personalized.
For example, the following would be needed in the zone file for tutorielgandi.com (see how, if you use Gandi's DNS) in order to have the validation link start with validate.tutorielgandi.com and not domainnameverification.net (replace “validate” below with whatever name you want to use for the subdomain):
validate 10800 IN CNAME domainnameverification.net.
Once done, be sure to test the email to see if it appears like you would like. To do this, click on “Send me an example email” on the bottom of the page.
When done, click “Submit” to conclude the personalization of your notifications.
Below are some of the more frequently asked questions concerning the personalization of your ICANN reachability email, and their answers.
- I modified the sender's name but in the test email it still displays email@example.com as the from address. Why is that? It is just the name of the sender that you modify and not the email address; it is not currently possible to change the actual email address used to send the mail.
- Why does the link in the test email not work? The verification email address inserted into the test email does not work because the ID number does not correspond to any customer (note that the hash is equal to 012634567890 several times). Its only use is to server as a placeholder in the email so that you can verify that it displays correctly (very useful when using a CNAME).
- The domain name domainexample.tld does not correspond to any of my domains. Why is it in the test email? We do not use a real domain name in the test email, but rather, the ficticious “domainexample.tld”
- Is the verification email address send to my customer only once? No, it is sent a first time during the purchase of the first domain name, and then every 5 days if the verification link is not used. After 15 days (or after 3 verification requests) the domain name is suspended (put on HOLD status).
- Is the blocking of a domain name perminant for non-verification of the email address? The domain name will be suspended (put on Holdà until the customer verifies the address. If, during the registration period of the domain, they confirm it via the address that was sent, the domain name will be unblocked.