Table of Contents
Standard settings for your e-mail client with a Gandi Mail account
Grouped here is some information about the various “standard” settings recommended to set up your e-mail clients, regardless of the client or the operating system you use.
This will enable you to use your own choice of software to send and receive email from your domain's Gandi Mail addresses.
General configuration & settings
- The POP account enables you to “download” messages from a server to a computer. This is the simplest and most common setting for an e-mail client.
- The IMAP account enables you to access messages directly on the server, just as if you were going to mail.gandi.net. We recommend the use of POP for the very simple reason that emails are not stored locally with an IMAP account, and so you risk losing emails if you run out of storage space or forget to renew.
- TLS/SSL: TLS is a more recent secure protocol than SSL. Nevertheless, it appears as though (at least some) e-mail clients have trouble managing TLS, so we recommend SSL.
- Yourdomain.tld: when you see this expression, replace it by your own domain name (as in example.com). For your information, TLD means and represents your domain's extension (.com, .net, .org, .fr, .eu, .co.uk, …).
- The GandiMail "Forwarding" option cannot be configured on an e-mail client, as opposed to your mailboxes, for the very simple reason that they forward e-mails to a real mailbox (the e-mail you have with your Internet service provider, or a Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo account, for example).
- Incoming server name:
- Port: leave the default setting (110 for POP, 143 for IMAP, 995 for POP SSL, or 993 for IMAP SSL).
- TLS or SSL: Yes
- Username: your full e-mail address (including
- Password: provide the password you defined when creating the mailbox
- Outgoing (SMTP) server name : mail.gandi.net
- Port : 25, 465 (with SSL) or 587 (with STARTTLS)
- TLS or SSL : yes
- SMTP Authentication : yes, using the same settings as for the POP / IMAP account
Having trouble getting your email to sync across devices? See Using GandiMail from several locations simultaneously with IMAP →
Other problems, or you can't get it working and need help? You can contact support. See Troubleshooting Gandi Mail →