Table of Contents
Creating a server with Gandi AI (easy mode)
← Back: Create a VPS using Gandi AI
(See also the screencast version of this tutorial.)
You're about to create your first easy mode Gandi AI VPS.
Therefore, you have already:
- Created a Gandi account :)
- Chosen the number of shares your server will require. If you're unsure of the number of shares you will be needing, I suggest you visit this page.
Then choose a server name and password. Be sure to remember this password. Gandi doesn't have access to it and you won't be able to retrieve it if you lose it.
Congratulations, you're in front of the module configuration interface of your brand new Gandi AI server.
Now let's proceed to the general (easy mode) configuration of each of these modules.
Operating system (UNIX)
Since this is your server's very first configuration, don't worry about this step for the time being.
It will come in handy when you want to create users and groups with management rights on your server (dedicated FTP access, using SSH, etc).
- You first need to give an e-mail address: this is the one of the person who will be responsible for the HTTP server. It will, for instance, be displayed on a website error page, so as to allow visitors to contact the person in charge.
- Also indicate the virtual hosts -domains and their sub-domains) which will be pointing to this server (once the server is configured, you will need to configure the DNS of the said domains).
- Create and select a user for each virtualhost. This user (and of course the user “admin”) will have access to the files of this virtualhost. This will allow you to share the management of the website corresponding to the virtualhost with another user.
Choose a password for the database server's general administration. When connecting to the database server, the user name will be root, and the password will be the one you have chosen here.
The admin account (along with the password you had defined during the server's creation) posesses, by default, all rights on the FTP server.
If you had created users in the Operating system (UNIX) module above, they will have access to their own FTP directory as well.
User accounts that you have created
In Easy mode, you don't need to worry about this module. It is used to create user accounts which can be applied by default on other modules.
You can therefore proceed directly to the recap of your server's configuration by hitting Submit.
Gandi AI (summary)
The summary will recapitulate the various functions of your brand new server.
In the Servers section of your account, you should then see a new server appear in the servers list. Now, you'll need to wait a few minutes, after which your server will be ready to go! :)
- You could start by configuring your domain names to make them point towards your new server
- You could also visit the advanced server administrator mode tutorial pages for each of the modules described here
- Or, you could simply go to the wiki's Gandi Hosting section and start exploring :)